Il nostro chirurgo
Dr Osama Al-Nahrawy
Birth date: 9-6-1962
Present official job: * professor of Ophthalmology,
Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University and its hospital, Ismailia, Egypt. .
Private eye practice centers and hospitals:
* Chief Excutive Officer of:
a. Cortoba eye and lasik ceneter, at Ismailia, Egypt
www.cortobaeyelasik.com b. Ismailia eye hospital, Ismailia, 12 Al Nile Street, Egypt
www.ismailia-eye-hospital.com c. Port Said eye center, Port Said, 46 Safia Zaghloul street,
Egypt. d. Suez Eye Center, Suez, 2 Sedki street, Egypt. * Sharer founder of Private eye
centers in Cairo: a. Al Hayat Eye center, 17 Mekka Street, Dokki, Giza, Cairo. b. Egyptian
Eye Academy, 17 Beirut Street, Heliopolis, Cairo. *Memberships in International societies:
1. The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) untill now.
2. The European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS) untill now.
3. Previously for years: The ISCEV (International Society for Clinical Electrophysiology of
4. International society for quality (Isqua) untill now.
Medical Education, degrees and certificates.
1. Bachelors degree of medicine: Tanta University, Egypt, 1985 2. Master of Sciences degree
in Ophthalmology (MS) Tanta University, Egypt, 1990. 3. Research thesis for the master
degree about “Lamellar keratoplasty for recurrent pterygia” in TANTA University
between 1987-1990 4. Medical doctorate degree in Ophthalmology (MD): April 1997 Suez
5. Research work for M.D. thesis: “Ocular Electrophysiology (VEPs, ERG, EER) in
predicting the visual outcome of complicated cataract surgery). It was for three years, two
of them (1993-1995) in Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute, and Hospital of
University of Amsterdam (Academic Medical Center AMC), Amsterdam, Holland.
6. International Council of Ophthalmology Basic science and Clinical assessment (Diploma)
of ophthalmologist’s certificate at April 1997, 1998.
7. Diploma degree in Hospital Administration. Granted by Egyptian Arabian Company for
Educational Services in association with the British association for e-learning. 2004.
8. Diploma in total Quality management in Health care, from the American University in
Cairo, at 2007.
9. Two research projects in the American University in Cairo, one about Six Sigma
methodology, in reducing the long waiting time in Al Suez Eye center. The other project
about: planning for top quality. The basis project for establishing Cortoba Eye Center at
10. Diploma degree in Neuro-Linguistic Programming Granted by Canadian Training
Center Of Neuro-Linguistic Programming 5-4-2008 (Dr Ibrahim El Feky).
1. House officer doctor: 1 year 1985-1986.
2. Resident in Ophthalmology department, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University: 1987-
3. Research fellow in Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute and Ophthalmology
department, University of Amsterdam, Holland: 1993–1995.
4. December 2007: AMO-Visx (AMO stands for Advanced Medical Optics American
Company) Visx excimer laser system physician training course.
5. December 2007:AMO-Visx laser system operator training course
6. December 2007: AMO-Visx wavescan system operator training course.
* SURGICAL SKILLS AND CLINICAL PRACTICE:
1. MEDICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC OPHTHALMOLOGY:
I have experience in (and an owner – co-owner) of the following equipment):
a. Automated perimetry. (Octopus 101) Switzerland.
b. Ophthalmic ultrasound (Nidek Japan),
c. Ocular photography and fluoroscein angiography (Kowa Japan), analog and digital
d. Corneal topography (Tomey TMS-3)
e. Pachymetry Nidek Japan (corneal thickness ultrasonic measurement),
f. Orbscan (Bausch and Lomb, USA) anterior and posterior corneal surface studies and
multiple points’ corneal thickness assessment.
g. Pentacam (Oculus Germany) anterior and posterior corneal surface studies and multiple
points’ corneal thickness assessment. Together with anterior chamber assessment and lens
h. Wavescan Visx wavefront studies to measure different ocular higher order aberrations
and register iris pattern and prints.
i. Visual evoked potentials (VEPs), electroretinogrphy (ERG) and electroculography
(EOG). Conventional and multifocal Recordings.
Experience in these equipment enables to diagnose different medical retinal diseases.
2. OCULAR SURGERIES
1. Pediatric eye surgeries: squint, congenital cataract and congenital glaucoma.
2. All techniques of glaucoma surgeries (penetrating and non penetrating trabeculectomies)
3. All techniques of cataract surgeries (phakoemulsification with implantation of all types of
foldablel intraocular lenses.
4. All refractive surgical techniques: phakic AC intraocular lenses implantation Verisyse
(IRIS CLAW) , Implantable contact lenses (ICL),
5. Refractive lens exchange and clear lens extraction
6. Laser vision correction: standard and customized wavefront- guided corrections. To
correct errors of refraction like myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism. And to correct high
7. Phototherapeutic keratectomy to remove superficial opacities of the cornea using excimer
laser Visx system.
8. Penetrating keratoplasty to remove dense central corneal opacities.
9. Some oculoplastic procedures like dacryocystorhinostomy and silicone intubation. Also
the same technique could be done through the nose with the nasal endoscope and an ENT
10. Intravitreal injection techniques of combination of antibiotics for ttt of early
endophthalmitis, intravitreal injection of Bevacizumab (Avastin) and traimcinolone
11. INTACS (Intra corneal rings) implantation for cases of keratoconus
12. Ultra violet Riboflavin corneal collagen cross linking for cases of early keratoconus.
3. Ophthalmic LASERS:
1. Argon laser photocoagulation for iridotomies, iridoplasty and trabeculoplasty, panretinal
photocoagulation for proliferative diabetic retinopathy and focal and grid laser ttt for
diabetic macular edema.
2. Yag laser iridotomy and posterior capsulotomy for posterior capsule opacification after
3. Excimer laser systems (Visx AMO, Technolas Chiron vision 217c, z, Allergretto, Schwind
* Conferences and courses, speaking and or attending or organizing): 1.All conferences of
Egyptian Ophthalmological Society of Egypt.
2. The 26th international congress of Ophthalmology at Toronto, Canada, 1994: Orally
presenting a paper about: “Pattern reversal VEP for complicated cataracts and low vision
3. Courses for the Final (fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh) FRCSed
examinations, In El-Maghraby Eye Hospital, Jiddah, Saudi Arabia at 15-21 November,
4. Course in “The national Eye Institute of the National Institutes of Health,
Ophthalmology Department Maryland University and Walter Reeds Army Hospital, In
Washington, USA 1999. LKC Company in USA organized this course.
5. Attending the American Academy of Ophthalmology meeting, at Orlando, Florida, USA
at September 1999.
6. Attending the ISCEV (International Society for Clinical Electrophysiology of Vision)
conference at Sydney, Australia, February 2000. During the conference I had two
presentations: a. solar eclipse maculopathy recorded in 6 eyes.
b. ERG and VEP for a variety of Macular lesions. I have attended a training course during
this conference about clinical electrophysiology of vision.
7. Educational Program in Contact Lenses of the Bausch & Lomb Vision Care Institute,
13/5/2000, Held in Egypt
8. Attending the DOC (annual international Deutsche Ophthalmic Surgeons meeting) at
Nuremberg, Germany 2000,
9. Attending the DOC at 2002 also at Nuremberg, Germany. During this meeting, I have
presented two oral presentations: 1. keratoconus disappeared or diminished after incisions
for phakic IOL implantation. 2. Surgical excision of epicorneal tissue in advanced cicatrial
ocular pemphigoid. During this meeting I have attended two courses: 1. Advanced phako
techniques. 2. Lasik different microkeratomes.
10. Attending the ISCEV meeting at Nagoya, Japan, April 2003. During the meeting, I have
presented a presentation about “Role of ocular electrophysiology in unexplained vision
11. The Second International Congress on Glaucoma Surgery, 6-7 Feb 2003, Held in Luxor,
12. International Meeting of Egyptian Society of Ocular Implants and Refractive Surgery
(ESOIRS) & 4th Meeting of African Society of Refractive Surgery (ASRS) Held in Luxor –
13. Invited speaker to the annual conference of Al Ahlia Hospital eye department, Abu
Dhabi, UAE in cooperation with the ministry of Health of United Arab Emirates, at
November 2004. During the conference, I have presented a lecture about “Non-penetrating
versus penetrating glaucoma surgery: update).
14. Attending and presenting in the ESCRS winter meeting, in Rome , Italy, February 2005.
My Oral presentation was about: high frequency diathermy anterior capsulorhexis during
15. Attending and presenting in the International ophthalmology conference of the Pan
Arab Council of Ophthalmology and the Emirates society of Ophthalmology, in Dubai
April 2005. I have presented a video presentation about combined therapeutic penetrating
keratoplasty, cataract extraction and intraocular lens implantation in a case of
descematocele impending to perforate.
16. Attending the second international symposium of Pediatric Ophthalmology, Held in
Luxor, Egypt, 1-4/12/2005
17. Attending and presenting two events in the 24th annual conference of the European
Society of Cataract and Refractive surgery, at London 9-13 September 2006. I had an
electronic poster presentation about “bimanual cystitome capsulorhexis versus main
incision cystitome capsulorhexis in cataract surgery”. I had a video presentation that had
been selected in the session of difficult and challenging cases titled: “Combined
phakoemulsification and penetrating keratoplasty
in a case of dense cataract, leucoma adherent and non-dilatable pupil”.
18. Attending and sharing in the first Arab forum for quality in health care (bridging the
gap) , at Sharm Al Sheihk, at 20-22 March, 2007.
19. Attending and sharing in the Refractive surgery meeting and the launch of
femotosecond laser lasik at Sharm Al Sheikh, Egypt at 26-28 January 2008.
20. Attending and sharing in the second Arab forum for quality in health care (Patient
First) , at Conrad Hotel, Cairo, Egypt , at 19-22 April, 2008
21. Organizing a meeting in Cortoba eye and lasik center, at 30 May 2008, at Ismailia city,
Egypt. The meeting was about: keratoconus management. It was for the eye doctors at the
Suez Canal Area.
22. Attending and presenting two events in the 26th annual conference of the European
Society of Cataract and Refractive surgery, at Berlin13-17 September 2008. I had an
electronic poster presentation about ” Acute esotropia after LASIK surgery in a 26 years
old girl: A sentinel event case report”. And another electronic poster presentation about
“Combined instrument and posterior- assisted levitation of nuclear fragments during
phacoemulsification after posterior capsule rupture”
23. Participation as a trainer, in the course organized at the Egyptian Eye Academy, at
Cairo about lasik, at 30, 31 October 2008. The meeting was in assoctaion with the
international health academy and the American Academy of CME (continuous medical
24. Attending and presenting in the annual conference of the Egyptian Society of Cataract
and Corneal diseases (Escacod) at 12-13 February 2009, at Cairo in collaboration with the
Italian Society and the Indian Societies of cataract and refractive surgeries. My
Presentation was about: Manual versus transepithelial laser removal during cross-linking:
could it be a factor to reduce scarring and tendency for keloid formation ?
25. Organizing the first InterArab universities conference for developing students’
participation in upgrading the education and performance. The title of the conference was
about: “Role of information technology and quality in upgrading healthcare and
education”. Besides organizing the conference and training the students, I have presented a
paper about: what is the world doing nowadays and how it is thinking. The conference was
at March, 12-13 , at Suez Canal Uuniversity, Ismailia, Egypt.
26. The Annual winter meeting of the Egyptian Ophthalmological Society, at March, 18-20 ,
2009 at Cairo. I was a Moderator in the course titled: Lasik: what is new ?
27. The 21th Annual meeting of the Egyptian Society of Ocular Implants and Refractive
Surgery (ESOIRS) 6-8 May 2009. Presenting two papers. 1. Combined Instrument and
posterior assisted levitation of nuclear fragments during phakoemulsification after
posterior capsule rupture. 2. Mannual versus laser epithelial removal during corneal crosslinking. Could it be a factor to reduce scarring ?.
International bodies had selected me to train others: I have been Selected by:
a. LKC (an USA company in Washington producing equipment for diagnosis of ocular
diseases) to train doctors in Qatar
b. Future technology Egypt Co., agent of Tomey branch in Germany, to train a Saudi
professor in Ismailia in electrophysiology of vision procedures (VEP-ERG-EOG).
c. Amico to Train an eye doctor lady from Syria for electrophysiology of vision procedures
Certificates are available to prove this. Scientific Reviewer * Selected to review some
scientific papers done by international researchers before being published in the scientific
Journal Documenta Ophthalmologica. This occurred two times (two dates are shown. One
is the date of referring the article for review and the other is for confirming receiving the
corrections or opinions sent from me.):
Appreciation certificates Granted by Al-Amin Medical Instrument Co. (AMINCO), Cairo –
Appreciation certificates Granted by Arab Republic of Egypt -Ismailia Governorate ,
Appreciation certificates Granted by Future Technology Egypt , Cairo –Egypt
9/6/2001 & 3/5/2001
Title of article : Long Term Therapy With Low Dose Cycloporin-A in Ocular Behcet’s
Disease. Authors: Pinar Cakar OZDAL, Serap ORTAC, Ibrahim TASKINTUNA and Esin
FIRAT. SSK Ankara Eye Hospital, Ankara, Turkey. The paper was presented at the VI
International Symposium On Ocular Inflammation, Istanbul, June 18-23, 2000. Submitted
for publication at the Documenta Ophthalmologica. Miranda Kraaijeveld@wkap.nl Source
: Kluwer Academic Publishers
17/10/2000 & 13/9/2000
Title of article : Human Vitreal Prostaglandin Levels and Proliferative Diabetic
Retinopathy. Authors: Stella Douros, M.D., Barbara A Phillips, M.D., Alfred Nadel, M.D.,
and Stehen A. Obstbaum, M.D. Department of Ophthalmology, Lenox Hill Hospital, New
York, USA. This study was funded by Allergan Pharmaceuticals and a grant from the Eye
Research Foundation of Central New York, Inc. It was presented in part at the Association
for Reseach in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Annual Meeting on May 16, 1995 in
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA. Submitted for publication at the Documenta
Ophthalmologica. Source : Kluwer academic publishers
Publications (chronological order)
1.ً د. اسامت البسيووي- أسامت الىحراوThe Pattern Reversal Visual Evoked Potential P100 in
Glaucoma. Bulletin of the Ophthalmological Society of Egypt. Volume 86, 1993, 415-420. 2.
ًمحسه بدوى البسيووي الىحراوOccipital responses to electric current stimulation of the eye by
means of DTL fiber electrodes . Bulletin of the Ophthalmological Society of Egypt. Volume
89, number 6, 1996,1061-1065 3. The Role of the Refractogram in Characterization of the
Spherical Component of the Ciliary Muscle Spasms. Bulletin of the Ophthalmological
Society of Egypt. Volume 91, number 2, 1998 ,457-462. 4. طارق رضوان حسيه الىحاس
ًالىحراوQualitative and Quantitative Assessment of Diabetic Macular Oedema with Optical
Coherence Tomography. Bulletin of the Ophthalmological Society of Egypt. Volume 93,
number 4, 2000 ,879-884 5. الىحراوً-.- رضوانThe sensitivity of VEPs Versus ERGs in
Diagnosis of Macular disorders. Bulletin of the Ophthalmological Society of Egypt. Volume
93, number 4, 2000 ,953-960 6. أ. د كارم قلقيلت- حمدى الكوميFunctional and structural assessment
of the macula in Eclipse Retinopathy Tanta Medical Journal, vol 28, No 1, June 30, 2000. 7.
حمودة غرابت، الىحراوى، عثمان محمد، حازم صباغNon recordable electroretinogram in siderosis bulbi
might not indicate poor visual outcome. Retina 2001, vol 21, n. 3, pages 277-279 8. ،قلقيله
رضوان، الىحراوً، أحمد عبد الغىيEvaluation of the nerve fiber layer by Optical Coherence
Tomography. Bulletin of the Ophthalmological Society of Egypt. Volume 94, number 6,
2001,1039-1045 9. قلقيله ، محمد السباعي شاهيه، عمرو الفتاحChanges in corneal sensitivity after
laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) for correction of Myopia. Bulletin of the
Ophthalmological Society of Egypt. Volume 96, number 1, 2003, 115-119
Laser photocoagulation of Diabeticد. محسه بدوى، طارق رضوان ، أسامت الىحراو،ً سامر بشير .10
Macular Edema Guided by Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT). Suez Canal University
Medical Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, October 2003, pages: 153-160. 11. أ.كارم قلقيله رضوان، ياسر
.خليفتThe Role of Vitrectomy in Treatment of Diabetic Macular Edema Suez Canal
University Medical Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, October, 2003, 139-146 12. : ًد. أسامت الىحراو
Ocular surface disorders: current understanding and new trends in management. Suez
Canal University Medical Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, October 2003, pages: 167-183 13. ًالىحراو
ميرفت الشبراوى، خالد عبد السلام زكيCentral Corneal Thickness and Visual Field Progression in
Open Angle Glaucoma Patients. Bull Ophthalmol Soc. Egypt, 2005: Vol 98, Number 3,
pages 499-502 14. High Frequency Diathermy Anterior and Posterior Capsulurhexis
During Cataract Surgery. Bull Ophthalmol Soc. Egypt, 2005: Vol 98, Number 2, pages 217-
502-223. 15. Amr AbdelFattah, Osama Al Nahrawy, Ehab Ghoneim, Ahmad Anwar,
Hesham Ali, Tarek Al Nahriri. Evaluation of Endoscopic Dacryocystorhinostomy Using
Microdrill with Creation of Mucosal Flaps. The Medical Journal Of Cairo University 2009:
Vol 77, Number 4, pages 123-128. 16. Osama Al Nahrawy , Waleed Ghobashy, Amr
AbdelFattah , Khaled A Zaki. Combined instrument and posterior- assisted levitation of
nuclear fragments during phacoemulsification after posterior capsule rupture.The Medical
Journal Of Cairo University 2009: Vol 77, Number 4, pages 129-135 17. Yasser Khalifa,
Osama Al Nahrawy, Ehab Ghoneim, Ahmad Anwar. Comparison of Amniotic Membrane
Transplantation versus Autologus Stem Cell Transplantation for recurrent Pterygium. The
Medical Journal Of Cairo University 2009: Vol 77, Number 4, pages 137-141.
18. Osama Al Nahrawy , Amr Sharaawy, Ehab Ghoneim, Yasser Khalifa. CustomVue laser
in situ keratomelieusis for myopia and
myopic astigmatism using the Visx S4 excimer laser: Efficacy, Predictability, and Safety.
The Scientific Journal of Al Azhar Medical Faculty (Girls) 2008: Vol 29, Number 3, pages
1199-120 )accepted for publication). 19. Hesham Ali, Osama Al Nahrawy, Mohamed
Marzouq, Ayman Shouman. Graded Inferior Wall Decompression with Fat Removal for
Non Vision-Threatening Indications. Accepted for publication in the Delta Journal Of
Ophthalmology DJO , Feb 2009 20. Osama Al Nahrawy, Mohamed Abdel Hamid. Cyclic
bleeding over eyes associated with cyclic epistaxis and bleeding from ears in pubertal
females. Suggested lacrimal endometriosis. The Medical Journal Of Cairo University 2009:
Vol 77, Number 4, pages 364-357. 21.Yasser Khalifa. Osama Al Nahrawy, Ehab Ghoneim
and Ahmad Anwar. Comparison of Amniotic Membrane Transplantation versus Autologus
Stem Cell Transplantation for recurrent Pterygium. The Medical Journal Of Cairo
University: Vol 77, Number 4, pages 137-141. Amr Sharawy, Osama Al Nahrawy,
Mohamed Hegazy and Karem Kolkaillah. Studying the effect of biomechanical properties
of the cornea in measuring intra-ocular pressure by using the Ocular Response Analyzer
(ORA). Accepted for publication in the Scientific Journal of Al Azhar Medical Faculty
(Girls) 2008: Vol 29, Number 3, pages 1209-1215. 22. Magdy El Barbary, Osama Al
Nahrawy and Mohamed Abdo . Electrophysiological assessment of the visual pathway by
visual evoked potentials and electroretinogram in thyrotoxic patients. Accepted for
publication in Suez Canal University Medical Journal, Mrach 2009. The Journal is Indexed
and abstracted by Index Medicus of WHO. 23. Osama Al Nahrawy. Acute esotropia after
LASIK surgery in a 26 years old girl: A sentinel event case report. Accepted for publication
in Delta Journal Of Ophthalmology DJO, February2009.
-Annual Conference of the Department of Ophthalmology
30/12/2010 ( intracorneal rings segments foe keratoconus )
-Annual Conference of the Egyptian Society for the development of hospital management
9/2010 ( Bermuda triangle like Risks in refractive surgery
Hands – off situations & time out prophylaxis )
-AAO, Meaco 2010 chicago
Ocular pesponse analyzer & corneal biomechanics before & after lasik ( osama Al
Nahrawy, Amr sharawy, Karem Kolkillah )
– ASCRS Boston 2010 ( osama Al Nahrawy, Amr sharawy, Ehab Ghoneim, yasser Khalifa)
Wave front guided lasik for myopia & Myopic Astigmatism using the variable spotscanning Excimer laser Efficacy predictability & safty
– ASCRS 2011 management of papillary Blovk pseudophakic glaucoma after cataract
extraction & anterior chamber intraocular lens implantation